Before the semester began, I checked my system to make sure it matched the requirements of the Second Life Viewer2. My MacBook Pro is an older model but it matches the requirements. To my surprise, after downloading the Beta, I could not log on. I kept getting:
Unable to connect to Second Life. DNS could not resolve the host name. Please verify that you can connect to www.secondlife.com web site. If you can, but continue to receive this error, please go to the support section and report this problem.
I had no problem connecting to SL.com with my tethered Smartphone and laptop, so I went to the support section as advised and tried to find a solution. This is where the frustration began to escalate. I became so frustrated that I decided to use the old version until I could get the problem resolved.
After three weeks and feeling like I was fighting with shadows (throwing punches but never feeling the impact of my efforts) I found the source of the problem was the network settings for my Smartphone connection.
I followed the information provided by the SL wiki and:
I determined that I had to add the DNS Advantage servers to the network settings for my Smartphone Ethernet connection. After adding the servers and restarting my system the problem was solved! I still don’t know what caused my audio problem a couple of weeks ago but the major shadow has been knocked out and I am able to proceed with our SL objectives.